Re: Is removing smell from packages OK? (Was: Why? "Marked for autoremoval on 24 March due to xdelta3: #965883")

Am Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 12:09:26PM +0100 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:

> Please note that "has no RC bugs" is *NOT* the threshold for NMUs, and
> certainly not if your approach to doing the NMU involved package
> refactoring: When you do an NMU, it is your responsibility to ensure
> that your changes did not introduce new bugs (not only RC bugs, any
> bug!).
>
> One of the reasons it is recommended to do minimal NMUs is exactly that:
> To limit the risk of introducing new bugs.
>
> When you choose to do a complex NMU which involves refactoring packaging
> (because is smelled), then you should expect to continue to keep that
> "on your radar" for some time because subtle bugs may have been
> introduced from such a radical change.

I fully agree here.  Luckily we have maintainers dashboard which now
puts a additional package on my desk.  So xdelta3 would raise a signal
there which I would act upon hopefully in a timely manner hopefully.

My point was rather that the suggested salvage procedure might not raise
any signal and I'm pretty sure that I would have lost track on this.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de