Re: Is removing smell from packages OK? (Was: Why? "Marked for autoremoval on 24 March due to xdelta3: #965883")

Am Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 10:35:43AM +0100 schrieb Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues:
> Is this not something that can be solved by salvaging [1] the package in
> question?

My question is targeting in this direction since salvaging is what we
somehow agreed upon.

> Do a tiny NMU fixing an RC bug (and only that) first but then after
> waiting 21 days you can get the packaging into shape without your changes being
> classified as a NMU and thus without the restrictions we put upon the changes
> allowed in a NMU.

In this specific case I would have needed to keep my focus on that
package over at least three weeks.  I have lots of packages that are
"raising singnals" (testing removal or other things that end up in my
mailbox) and once xdelta3 has no RC bugs any more it would have vanished
from my radar.

I would have needed to refresh my mind after that time which costs extra
time and energy.  I would also not been able to apply the existing patch
easily since it did more than only fixing the RC bug.  So I
intentionally did something else than salvaging procedure described to
save my own time for what I considered the final outcome later anyway.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de