Re: chromium: Update to version 94.0.4606.61 (security-fixes)

On 2/14/22 02:27, Pirate Praveen wrote:

2022, ഫെബ്രുവരി 13 9:36:11 PM IST, Roger Shimizu <rosh@debian.org>ൽ എഴുതി
On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 2:12 AM Andres Salomon <dilinger@queued.net> wrote:
Yes, that's the error. "String.matchAll is only available from Node.js
12.0 onwards", according to
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58558257/string-matchall-is-undefined
, which also says that String.match is available. I didn't put any
effort into working around it (either backporting a newer nodejs or
replacing all String.matchAlls with something else), since I wanted to
get chromium shipped for bullseye.
Thanks for your confirmation!
So we're on the same page.
I tried to backport nodejs 12 from bullseye to buster, but seems
nodejs 12 cannot coexist with nodejs 10, which means unless I backport
all the nodejs related packages, which has quite a long list ...
That's out of my capacity, so I give up.
I think using babel (already packaged) to transpile the js to run on nodejs 10 could be another option.

Thanks. We're already depending on babel (see https://salsa.debian.org/chromium-team/chromium/-/commit/5a04d98bfa15dc4f96d84ce0f420e9eeed4184f7 ), but there's currently a number of issues with the current state of things. Because chromium depends on a bunch of unpackaged node libraries, and it uses various node-based tools (tsc and rollup being the obvious examples), we end up with a weird mix of newer and older node libs. To make matters even more complicated, there isn't just one set of node libraries and tools in the chromium source tree - they're actually scattered throughout, and there's even multiple copies of many of the libs. It's a mess! For example, here's a random node module I picked:

dilinger@7400:~/sid/chromium-98.0.4758.80$ find . -name parse5
./third_party/node/node_modules/parse5
./third_party/node/node_modules/polymer-css-build/node_modules/parse5
./third_party/node/node_modules/polymer-bundler/node_modules/parse5
./third_party/node/node_modules/polymer-analyzer/node_modules/parse5
./third_party/devtools-frontend/src/node_modules/parse5
./third_party/devtools-frontend/src/node_modules/eslint-plugin-lit-a11y/node_modules/eslint-plugin-lit/node_modules/parse5
./third_party/devtools-frontend/src/node_modules/dom5/node_modules/parse5
./third_party/devtools-frontend/src/node_modules/parse5-htmlparser2-tree-adapter/node_modules/parse5
./third_party/devtools-frontend/src/node_modules/@types/parse5

Are they even the same version? No, of course not:

dilinger@7400:~/sid/chromium-98.0.4758.80$ find . -name parse5 -exec grep version '{}/package.json' \;
  "version": "1.5.1",
  "version": "4.0.0",
  "version": "4.0.0",
  "version": "4.0.0",
  "version": "5.1.1",
  "version": "6.0.1",
  "version": "4.0.0",
  "version": "6.0.1",
  "version": "2.2.34",

I previously worked around this mess (as you can see in the above commit) by depending on as much of the debian packages as possible, but even that didn't work; for example, bullseye's tsc didn't work with the remaining bundled modules, resulting in further workarounds: https://salsa.debian.org/chromium-team/chromium/-/commit/568c497bac5e828fdf9718ced6a57d1110841fbc . And random changes within the debian-packaged node libs are now breaking it, as https://bugs.debian.org/1005466 shows.

I've finally give up and am just using ALL the bundled node packages: https://salsa.debian.org/chromium-team/chromium/-/commit/a418d219f0217d6398a01c30035d35c42f7a76f1

It's not ideal, but at least with this we'll match all of the node stuff with what upstream is testing, with the single exception of nodejs itself (which we're still using from debian). The only other alternative I can think of is to get all the node packages into debian, and they'd also need to be backported to bullseye. I haven't looked into this yet, but it might be necessary if upstream breaks compatibility with nodejs 12. So, uh, if anyone is bored and looking for some node packages to maintain.... :)