Re: Debian mirror / developer machine

Hi,

> If you are talking about a separate repository to the existing
> repository, that sounds like a Debian derivative. Personally I would
> encourage people to contribute to Debian rather than starting new
> derivatives, except for experiments that will be re-integrated into
> Debian.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives

No, I ain't talking about derivatives of Debian. I talking about a
mirror by itself, like all the other one around (ftp.xx.debian.org).

>> Also, I could allow it's use for development purpose if some people need
>> it. Some time we simply don't want to run a compilation run on our own
>> computer because it create a lag and we don't have other computer to use.
>
> The existing options for building software on other people's computers
> are documented here:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware/Wanted#Available_hardware

I didn't know about this infrastructures. I'm more talking about
allowing some people on a individual basis the use of the machine to do
development.

Example, developer named Joe would like to have his workspace available
thru SSH and don't have the funds to have a server online (or don't want
to bother).

> In my opinion, the best way to give back is to be involved in
> producing Debian; testing, packaging, bug fixing etc and there are
> many ways to do that, some documented here:
>
> https://www.debian.org/intro/help
I'll take a look at this.

For now, I need to be able to do a complete re-installation of my Debian
instance without using the automated installer offered by
OVH/One-provider. This give me only one partition of 2 Tb in RAID-0
(Mirror) 3x2 To.

I need more than one partition and don't really need this level of RAID.
Something like RAID-5 (parity) would work great to be fail safe.

I'm good to do the installation and use debootstrap to build the server
but there seem to be problem with either doing the setup for network
upon reboot or else... I have some trouble shoot to do on how will it
get to work. I don't have access to the machine via KVM so I need to
work using the "rescue" mode. That is a network boot that give me access
to a shell, partition the disk, format the partition, mount the
partition, run debootstrap, setup grub, configure the network and... reboot.

It's the first time I have to build a server without access to KVM...

Thanks ;-)

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside