Re: Unique kernel with my own backup of all Debian repositories

Hi,

On 2021-06-12 8:19 p.m., Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 8:15 PM John E Petersen wrote:
>
>> If I find it is possible to simply download the entire collection, without having to host a mirror, I may very well go that route.
>
> That is definitely possible, there are two sides to every Debian
> mirror: 1) downloading Debian 2) making the files available on the
> web. The second part is definitely optional and many Debian folks do
> just the first part in order to serve their personal machines with
> Debian packages.
>
>> If I continue the scraping route, would adding wait time in my loop between downloads make my repeated access less of a problem? I would like to let it run until it is finished. It is tedious to restart my scrape periodically.
>
> Please use the ftpmirror method recommended by Étienne, it is more
> likely to produce a correct result than scraping and much less likely
> to get blocked. The Debian archive is only updated every six hours, so
> it would be a waste of bandwidth to update more often than that.

I think you got this one on the wrong side...

This guy is trying to copy all the source code repository as he seem to
have explained.

Well it's not really easy to understand what he's trying to do but he
seem to have the idea to build a Debian derived distribution "that has
the government and other controlled-entity removed" (?).

Kind of awkward to build a Debian derivative because you ain't happy
with the web panel that Digital Ocean offers you to manage Ubuntu and
feel Ubuntu too opinionated.

Maybe shall try a plain Debian first !

Was saying there's a security hole because you can't send your private
key to a server without first doing some manipulation in a web browser.

1st : I don't send my private key, I send the public one. And using scp
work pretty good.

2nd : There's no web interface for key management that is mandatory with
Debian (but there's some software usable as web interface for management).

3rd : His plan are to build a "kernel" but as I asked him why replace
the Linux kernel, and even more, how many person do you have for such a
huge work.

We already gave him hints on using debmirror / ftpmirror / apt-mirror /
aptly...

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside