Re: Seeking feedback on a meta package builder

Hi Jonas,

On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 09:22:05AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> And sure, a frontend wrapper tool may not need to care about some
> options, if possible to configure the backend independently.

Thank you for putting this so clearly.

For now, I've been focussing on the interface between build tool users
and build tools. Limiting the amount of options there is important to
provide some sort of tool-independence. This is why I'm pushing back
here. I've not invested into flexible backend configuration yet, but
that certainly is something worth pursuing. So very likely, ccache and
eatmydata fall into the category of backend configuration and should be
possible somehow. They're not the sort of thing that you typically want
to vary with each individual build.

Helmut