Re: Seeking feedback on a meta package builder

Hi Paul,

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 01:00:55AM +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
> > Some aspects that you may want to set for a build are:
>
> Looking at my pbuilder configs, some more:

Note that you are not a computer program. The thing I'm working on is
not supposed to be run by humans, but by other tools. As a human, please
continue to use the underlying builder directly to exert the
customizations that you need.

> Where to place the build results.

Covered by mdbp.

> Which dependency resolver to use when installing deps.

Unsure. This is an aspect where the various build implementations
differ. Achieving uniformity on this is hard.

> Whether suite/backports to build under.

Base suite is required by mdbp.

> Which packages not yet in Debian to make available to the build process.

I know this isn't the same, but an extra repository gives close to the
same flexibility at less convenience. However, convenience is less
relevant if the other side is a machine instead of a human.

> Extra environment variables to set.

Covered by mdbp.

> Set the parallelism level.

Covered by mdbp.

> What to run in the build environment at each stage.

Unsure. This also is an aspect where various tools differ widely. Much
of the time, you can achieve this by other means. For instance, you can
install a special package with a strange postinst. Or you can build a
modified source package. Do you have a case where this flexibility
really is needed and cannot be achieved by other means?

Helmut