Re: uscan roadmap

On Thu, Dec 02, 2021 at 11:36:08AM +0100, Yadd wrote:
> On 02/12/2021 10:16, Yadd wrote:

> > > A redirector service is superior to including the redirector code
> > > within uscan itself or within a debian/watch file, since when the
> > > upstream website breaks the existing code, a service can be updated in
> > > one place immediately, while uscan in Debian stable will be broken
> > > until the next point release if it gets fixed at all and one in
> > > debian/watch requires every package using the site to get updated.

So true

> > Yes but the redirector often responded with 500 codes
>
> Another idea to have a compromise:
>  * uscan is released with versioned schemes (GitHub.json, sf.json,...)
>  * when launched, it tries to download new version from a new Debian API
>    (static json files)
>    * if no response or no new version, uscan uses its own scheme or a
>      previously downloaded update (verifying signature)
>    * if a new version is available from new redirector:
>      * it verifies GPG signature of new scheme
>        * if not OK, it warns and uses cached scheme
>        * if OK, it stores it with signature in ~/.cache/uscan/schemes
>
> Then:
>  * no more redirector with an heavy load, but just some JSON schemes
>    statically stored
>  * uscan still works if Debian website doesn't respond
>
> What do you think about this idea?

Way too optimistic   :-)

The original problem was (and is) dealing with various upstream websites.

Putting a translator, a redirector, between uscan and a single upstream
website solves the problem for that particular website.

IMNSHO is building (hard to upgrade and distribute) "solutions"
for redirectors with 500s or whatever error effort at the wrong place.

Explaining to the user (us, debian maintainers) what is happing is a
better approach.   Especial when the redirector can explain the 500 is
due problems with the actual upstream website.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse