Re: uscan roadmap

On 01/12/2021 12:39, Geert Stappers wrote:

On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 09:11:17AM +0100, Yadd wrote:
Hi,

after few discussions with some devscripts maintainers, we decided to build
a new "version=5" format for debian/watch.

Principles:
  * keep compatibility with versions 3 and 4, no need to change all
    debian/watch files
  * new version 5 format using the same syntax than other debian/* files
    (rfc822 + "# comments")
  * no option renaming (becomes case-insensitive to be compliant with
    all formats)
  * Version 5:
    * Main (first) paragraph contains "Version: 5" and optional options
      that change default values for source-paragraph
    * URL and regex are separated
    * Some default values change. For example, `dversionmangle` default
      value will be "auto" (drop +dfsg, ~ds,...), uversionmangle=s/-/~/g,
      filenamemangle=s/.*?(\d[\d\.]*@ARCHIVE_EXT@)/@PACKAGE@-$1/...

Example:

   Version: 5

Of course, comments are welcome!

I think the move from v4 to v5 is an excellent opportunity
to express in the watch file that there is a dependency on a redirector.

Example

      version=4
      https://sf.net/<project>/ <tar-name>-(.+)\.tar\.gz debian uupdate

becomes something like

      Version: 5
      Source: https://qa.debian.org/watch/sourceforge/<project> <tar-name>-(.+)\.tar\.gz debian uupdate

Fix: will be

  Version: 5

  Source: https://qa.debian.org/watch/sourceforge/<project>
  Regex: <tar-name>-(.+)\.tar\.gz

And I don't think "uupdate" is still useful.

Personally I dislike redirectors. For npmjs, I wrote a "serachMode=plain" to be able to parse npm JSON result, also because there are a lot of npmjs packages and redirector was often unable to respond. This is different of course for sf.net because it needs JS interpretation

And I think such change will allow removal of

        bare
            Disable all site specific special case code such as URL
            redirector uses and page content alterations.

from the uscan code and uscan manual page  (they are in /usr/bin/uscan )

Yes, doc will be updated

The goal is to have documented that there are extra components being used.
Avoiding nasty surprises.

Groeten
Geert Stappers

Thanks!

P.S.
Awareness of redirectors will get us more redirectors.
Those redirectors will help us to prevent that `uscan`
must get a javascript interpreter