Re: Consequences of the NEW queue's length [Was: Remove packages from NEW queue?]

Stephan Lachnit <stephanlachnit@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 4:16 PM Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/18/21 4:08 PM, Stephan Lachnit wrote:
>>
>> > I guess this raises the (maybe already answered) question if the
>> > additional license QA from NEW is for the end-product (i.e. Debian
>> > stable) or for the servers that run the Debian infrastructure, which
>> > of course includes experimental.
>>
>> The latter.
>
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 4:29 PM Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 04:08:23PM +0100, Stephan Lachnit wrote:
>>
>> > I think this is exactly why it makes sense. I think we can trust the
>> > DDs to not make any large mistakes (e.g. putting steam in main).
>> The existence of NEW means we currently don't, for completely new
>> packages.
>
> I guess these two answers sum it up then. Thanks.

There is also the issue of cryptographic software, and the laws
regarding its export from the USA, which Debian deals with by treating
every package as though it _might_ at some point incorporate some
crypto, and therefore registering every package with BXA as part of the
NEW process.

  https://wiki.debian.org/USExportControl#Cryptographic_software_in_Debian_main_archive

This may seem like a lot of silly nonsense, but apparently Debian's
process is considered the gold standard by which they judge others, and
I'd assume that one important factor there is that there is no back-door
route by which we publish things from our mirrors prior to them going
through this registration dance.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. depending upon what exactly you're trying to do with pre-NEW
packages, this may be part of the solution:

  https://salsa.debian.org/salsa-ci-team/pipeline/#using-automatically-built-apt-repository