Re: Consequences of the NEW queue's length [Was: Remove packages from NEW queue?]

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 3:28 PM Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 02:52:56PM +0100, Stephan Lachnit wrote:
> > I don't know if that has been proposed before, but how about waiving
> > the NEW queue requirement for experimental packages as a start?
> > [...] Since packages in experimental will never land in any
> > official release, I think dropping the NEW queue requirement has no
> > negative impact.
> This makes no sense as NEW is mostly about checking licenses.

I think this is exactly why it makes sense. I think we can trust the
DDs to not make any large mistakes (e.g. putting steam in main). Since
packages in experimental aren't supposed to be used by anyone else but
the DDs themselves, the "damage" of a potentially missing / wrong
license is minimal, considering that DDs are aware of the fact that
the packages aren't "official".

I guess this raises the (maybe already answered) question if the
additional license QA from NEW is for the end-product (i.e. Debian
stable) or for the servers that run the Debian infrastructure, which
of course includes experimental.

If it's the latter, then of course this proposal doesn't work. However
I find that view a bit weird. Any update can change the license or add
new files with different licenses, nothing is ever checked by the
ftp-masters (that would be insanity). My conclusion thus is that the
NEW queue is more of an additional QA than a full legal coverage for
the archive, and thus I don't see a problem with unchecked packages in
experimental.

Regards,
Stephan