Consequences of the NEW queue's length [Was: Remove packages from NEW queue?]

Hi all.

Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues <josch@debian.org> writes:

> slightly related question: if I upload a new version to NEW, will the Age of
> the package be reset? I'm asking because my package has been in NEW for four
> months already and I'd like to avoid loosing that place by an upload of a new
> upstream version.

Every time I see stories like this, I wonder what the consequences of
the NEW queue's current workings are. This is *not* criticism of the
heroic work of the FTP Masters, nor is it criticism of the objectives
they have in processing the NEW queue. I do, however, worry that months
of waiting to see the fruits of one's labor might be detrimental to
attracting new contributors, or indeed to motivate already active
ones. It also seems to be a not insigificant impediment to getting
useful work, such as a SONAME bump, done quickly. At least personally, I
find it harder to put in small pieces of work that result in incremental
improvements if the result is having to wait months – with the added
uncertainty of having to do it all again (for good reasons, but
nevertheless).

It may well be that I'm asking the impossible here, but it does seem to
be a problem that other distributions don't suffer under to the same
extent. Is it merely a matter of their standards being lower, or is
there some room for improvement on our part?

Apologies in advance if this is something that has been discussed a lot
in the past. I'd be very interested in being pointed in the right
direction in that case!

 Best,
 Gard