Re: merged-/usr transition: debconf or not?

On 09.11.21 19:01, David Kalnischkies wrote:
(Minus that for 12 it is technically still supported as long as it
  remains 12, but those who have to know will know that and everyone else
  is better of following the default anyhow)

I'm worried that by saying that unmerged is still supported in 12, we open a can of worms and just punt this down to yet another release cycle.
E.g., what exactly does this mean for backports?
If I provide a backport from bookworm+1, I don't think it's feasible (and intended) to roll back any changes related to usrmerge, so I think backports should be able to assume a bookworm system is usrmerged?

Simon, could you clarify your thoughts regarding this aspect?