Re: deb822 sources by default for bookworm

On Fri, Nov 05, 2021 at 06:16:10PM +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 12:13:48AM +0800, Shengjing Zhu wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 11:45 PM Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'd like us to move from
> > >
> > >     /etc/apt/sources.list

> > >     /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.sources
> > >

> > While it's really a nice feature for the third-party repository, I
> > don't see the benefits to change the default one, especially the path.
> > I had to admit that I have countless scripts which run `sed
> > /etc/apt/souces.list`, to change the default mirror, as well as in the
> > Dockerfile.

(fwiw you could use a 'mirror+file' entry (see man apt-transport-mirror)
 specifying your preferred mirror of the day. As a bonus that will reuse
 the files of the old mirror instead of discarding them blindly)

> There's a technical limitation in that we get the format from the file
> extension. It's a bit annoying.

It was shortly the case that .list files could contain both formats, but
I opted to change that as of course countless things poking into those
files broke left and right.

cups used to detect if it ran on a Debian-like system by checking the
sources.list file for deb entries… I doubt it does nowadays as there are
countless better options now, I just mention it as trivial example of
the type of unexpected breakage which is to be expected…

Best regards

David Kalnischkies