Re: deb822 sources by default for bookworm

On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 12:13:48AM +0800, Shengjing Zhu wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 11:45 PM Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like us to move from
> >
> >     /etc/apt/sources.list

> >     /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.sources
> >

> While it's really a nice feature for the third-party repository, I
> don't see the benefits to change the default one, especially the path.
> I had to admit that I have countless scripts which run `sed
> /etc/apt/souces.list`, to change the default mirror, as well as in the
> Dockerfile.

There's a technical limitation in that we get the format from the file
extension. It's a bit annoying.

Also this makes multi-origin downstream distros cleaner, so you can
have

    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.sources
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/downstream.sources

instead of worrying about either creating a combined sources.list or
dropping just your downstream bits into sources.list.d

We'll have to see how much trouble that causes, and it might work
to make sources.list a symlink to sources.list.d/debian.sources,
and have apt inspect readlink() to get the "real" file extension
for sources.list

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en