Re: Question about source tarballs for packaging

On Sun, 2021-10-10 at 21:40 +0000, Joshua Peisach wrote:

> I'm packaging the V programming language for Debian. However, V is  bit
> weird at the moment. It's not really ready for stable production/use.
> so for a while it will live in experimental. Currently the way building
> it works is that there is a repo that is the compiler translated to C
> automatically that you have to clone and compile to build V, and then
> all the actual libraries and everything to make V work. The cloning is
> done through git via Makefile.

That is not a proper bootstrap process ala Bootstrappable Builds.

https://bootstrappable.org/

Is the code that generates the C code possible to run without V built
yet? If so I suggest that you run that code from the Debian package
build. If not, personally I would not add V to Debian yet.

> What is the proper way to get the source?

Jonas' suggestion of using uscan to get tarballs of the git branch
seems reasonable.

--
bye,
pabs