Re: tech-ctte: More specific advice regarding merged-/usr and implications of #978636

On Oct 18, Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> wrote:

Thank you: this is great work and, even if it requires maintaining
support for unmerged systems for yet another release, I fully agree with
the results.

> - Debian contributors who are interested in merged-/usr are invited to
>   implement a straightforward migration path from non-merged-/usr to
>   merged-/usr. The Technical Committee will not design this migration
>   path in detail. If disputes arise related to this migration path, or
>   if advice on this migration path is requested, we will resolve those
>   by following our usual procedures.
>
>     + One example of a migration path that might be used is for an
>       Essential package to add a dependency on the usrmerge package, so
>       that it will be installed automatically during upgrades. We do not
>       require this to be the migration path that is chosen; it is
>       presented here merely to demonstrate that such a migration path
>       can exist.
This looks like a good plan. I am not sure that alternative ones
which fit the other requirements have ever been proposed, but I would
still like to hear about them if anybody has better ideas.

This is a rough sketch of a possible solution:

Package: foo
Essential: yes
Depends: usrmerge | usr-is-merged

Source: usrmerge
Package: usrmerge
Provides: usr-is-merged

Source: usrmerge
Package: usr-is-merged
 It can be removed as soon as no other package depends on it.
 .
 It fails in preinst if /{bin,sbin,lib*} are not a symlink.
 .
 It is useful to satisfy the dependency without bloating already
 converted systems.

An open question: how do we make debootstrap and its clones install
usr-is-merged instead of usrmerge?

So, who is willing to be the maintainer of "foo"?
There are not too many candidates:

grep-available -s Package -F Essential yes | uniq | less

--
ciao,
Marco