Question about source tarballs for packaging

Hello everyone,

I'm packaging the V programming language for Debian. However, V is  bit weird at the moment. It's not really ready for stable production/use. so for a while it will live in experimental. Currently the way building it works is that there is a repo that is the compiler translated to C automatically that you have to clone and compile to build V, and then all the actual libraries and everything to make V work. The cloning is done through git via Makefile.

Because of this, you can't try building an old version of V because you'll be trying to use the master branch of the V compiler. The only way to really use V is to clone the master branch, build V and run 'v up' often to update the compiler.

This doesn't really matter; the above means that we will have to build on weekly tags rather than the current '0.2.4' tag. Here is the issue. uscan and gbp aren't happy with the tag because by all means, it isn't a number.

It is now that I turned to how other people package, such as how the kernel team packages linux, and how the MATE team packages things, and other ways of getting the source compared to the way I am pretty much accustomed to with Python, Go, and Cinnamon team with the pristine-tar.. is this all really neccessary?

What is the proper way to get the source? What ways are allowed and what aren't? What can I do and what can't I do? I'm in a tight situation where I'll be building weekly tags (not to mention finding a sponsor who will even be okay with the crazy crap I'm going to be pulling off for this to actually work), what are the standards? What is policy about?

Source: https://salsa.debian.org/vlang-team/vlang

Cheers,
-Josh