Errors from TCP connections (was: How to build circular dependant packages in debian)

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 02:11:06AM +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
> Normally one would get "Connection refused" when connecting to a port
> that isn't open,

"Connection refused" is generated by TCP reset packets.

>                  but at this site one gets "No route to host", as if
> there is no network path to reach the host,

"No route to host" is generated by an ICMP error.

>                                             which is clearly not true
> since the HTTP port works. I wasn't aware it is even possible to have
> different routing for each TCP port, I guess this is a feature of
> OpenStack?

No, this is a feature for all destination rewriting solution, sometimes
called NAT or load balancing.  Or someone used the wrong setting in
iptables.

Bastian

--
A Vulcan can no sooner be disloyal than he can exist without breathing.
		-- Kirk, "The Menagerie", stardate 3012.4