Re: inconsistent mailgraph settings

On 2021-08-21 10:36:04 +0200, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> In particular it *seems* to work for him and he doesn't have access to your
> system where things apparently went wrong so it could be really hard for him
> to know. So what you can do is to try to debug *yourself* why the upgrade
> went wrong and come forth with some analysis that shows to root cause of the
> breakage. And then you can also propose a fix. I am sure that would make it
> a lot easier for the maintainer to do "the right thing".

Unfortunately, that's too late, because the issue (at least one part
of it) occurred during the upgrade, and unfortunately, I can't install
the previous version (due to unsatisfied dependencies) to try to
reproduce the bug.

> > While mailgraph was started on boot in the past, this stopped
> > working with the upgrade to Debian 10, and I had to enable it
> > again. So issues with the upgrade to Debian 11, but the mailgraph
> > package has not changed. And who knows what will happend with
> > the next upgrade...
> >
> > I can see in the debian/default.conf file:
> >
> > # Should Mailgraph start on boot (true|false) (default: true)
> > BOOT_START="true"
> >
> > So I don't understand what is the intent for the default settings.
> > To run it on boot or not???
>
> Evidently the package is offering a choice on whether to start or not to
> start mailgraph on boot. By virtue of that option existing it seems that not
> everybody wants mailgraph to be started on boot.

Yes, but this option was honored in the previous version and
is no longer honored (note that there wasn't an announce of
any change).

> > Note that I was already using systemd in Debian 9, so that it is
> > not normal that mailgraph stopped working after the upgrade to
> > Debian 10.
>
> Don't be all up in arms about the problem. Try to find out why it's broken
> and try to propose a fix and to work with the maintainer.

I no longer have any Debian 9 machine.