inconsistent mailgraph settings

My bug report https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=989734
has been closed again, with no explanations.

While mailgraph was started on boot in the past, this stopped
working with the upgrade to Debian 10, and I had to enable it
again. So issues with the upgrade to Debian 11, but the mailgraph
package has not changed. And who knows what will happend with
the next upgrade...

I can see in the debian/default.conf file:

# Should Mailgraph start on boot (true|false) (default: true)
BOOT_START="true"

So I don't understand what is the intent for the default settings.
To run it on boot or not???

Note that I was already using systemd in Debian 9, so that it is
not normal that mailgraph stopped working after the upgrade to
Debian 10.