Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

On 2021-08-22 Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> The huge majority of files under /lib* (which is the actual bulk of them)
> should require no symlink farms. Many of the ones under /bin and /sbin
> (we are talking about around 240 packages here) might be switchable w/o
> compat symlinks after careful consideration (or not…), many of the ones
> that require symlinks would need these just for a period of time, and
> only a handful would remain (the ones that are part of standard
> interfaces, which I'd expect would be mostly shells?). I think the amount
> of symlinks currently provided by f.ex. lvm2 and e2fsprogs combined would
> amount to more symlinks than what we would eventually end up with TBH.
[...]
> I've also tried to stop replying to all misconceptions, inaccuracies
> and plain wrong stuff on this thread (f.ex. people vocal in this thread
> apparently do not exactly seem to know how upgrades or our package
> manager works in Debian?), first to avoid dominating it with replies
> (like some kind of deranged person, where I think I've probably already
> surpassed my quota), and because it just all seems like a monumental
> waste of time, energy and motivation. Which I'd rather spend elsewhere.

Hello Guillem,

Afaict we have still no idea on how to move on.

1 I think you agree that there is a significant number of usrmerged Debian
  installations out there. It does not really matter whether there are 7% or
  40%. They exist and should (keep) working.

2 As you have stated there are known issues with dpkg and usrmerged
  systems. Some of them are are triggered by moving files from / to /usr.

Starting from here it is hard to see a way forward. Is it a
realistic option to require something like
-----
dpkg --purge usrmerge
dpkg-fsys-usrunmess
-----
pre dist-upgrade to bookworm to get back all systems to a sane (from
dpkg POV) state and start fresh? Is this robust (except for crash as
stated in the manpage), or would you consider it beta-quality?

TIA, cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'