Re: Debian choice of upstream tarballs for packaging

Hello,

On Mon 16 Aug 2021 at 09:18AM +08, Paul Wise wrote:

> I noticed that sometimes Debian's choice of upstream source for
> packaging can be suboptimal. This is especially apparent for the
> different per-language upstream packaging ecosystems[1], where the
> upstream packaging differs from the upstream VCS in some significant
> ways, including missing files, prebuilt files, embedded copies etc.
>
> While the upstream VCS also sometimes has these issues, it is often
> much less problematic than the upstream packaging ecosystems.
>
> I'd like to suggest that we standardise on the upstream VCS for our
> orig.tar.gz files and phase out use of upstream packaging ecosystems.

I agree with this, and already do it for all or almost all of the
packages I maintain.  There will probably need to be lots of exceptions,
however.  Perhaps "recommended" in Policy?

I wrote the git-deborig tool in devscripts to make it easy to generate
the orig.tar files.  For almost every upload I just type either 'git
deborig', or for -2, 'origtargz'.

--
Sean Whitton