Re: Steam Deck: good news for Linux gaming, bad news for Debian :(

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 04:42:51AM +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 3:22 AM Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
>
> > Debian is missing KDE's Amarok music manager.
>
> Amarok was removed as it required the obsolete Qt 4 library. Now that
> upstream has finally ported it to Qt5, it could be reintroduced to
> Debian.

That's an interesting way of presenting the situation. Amarok was
removed because we aggressively removed Qt4, dropping packages that were
still using it, rather than dropping it once it was no longer in use,
which would be the more traditional approach.

> > where people can create Repo's of newer software versions to
> > use with stable Debian.
>
> We have backports for that, and there is the bikesheds idea.
>
> https://backports.debian.org/

Backports is not analogous to the concepts Timothy was presenting. It's
*one* repository, not a system where people (not just Debian maintainers)
can create repos.

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland