Re: Steam Deck: good news for Linux gaming, bad news for Debian :(

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 3:22 AM Timothy M Butterworth wrote:

> Debian is missing KDE's Amarok music manager.

Amarok was removed as it required the obsolete Qt 4 library. Now that
upstream has finally ported it to Qt5, it could be reintroduced to
Debian.

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/amarok
https://tracker.debian.org/news/1055955/removed-290-2-from-unstable/
https://bugs.debian.org/935022
https://amarok.kde.org/en/node/890
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch05.html#reintroducing-pkgs

> VirtualBox is not available on Debian 11.

VirtualBox is not suitable for Debian stable because of how upstream
does security updates.

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/virtualbox
https://bugs.debian.org/794466

Also, it isn't in main because it needs a non-free compiler to build the BIOS.

> I got tired of the constant need to download all of the packages.
> I am on a metered internet connection.

There are a couple of Debian initiatives that could help here:

https://debdelta.debian.net/
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Spec/DeltaDebs

> where people can create Repo's of newer software versions to
> use with stable Debian.

We have backports for that, and there is the bikesheds idea.

https://backports.debian.org/

--
bye,
pabs