a little productivity on the side (was Re: merged /usr considered harmful)

Andreas Metzler dixit:

>1. Make merged-/usr-via-aliased-dirs the only supported layout and make
>this information available to apt. (Like we did for multi-arch-support.)
>2. After that individual packages can safely move files from / to /usr,
>pre-depending on merged-usr-support.

This will still break “dpkg -S $(which programname)”, which I use a lot.
And tons of other stuff. All aliasing schemes will. Just keep supporting
unmerged filesystems and requiring /usr to be there at the time control
is handed to init(8).

A little bit more positively, as I recently switched my sid systems to
bullseye, I was wondering which packages I now have to manually down‐
grade; additionally, a lot of “dust” they had accumulated over time.
I am vaguely aware of aptitude having parts of this but don’t use it,
so here we are:

https://evolvis.org/plugins/scmgit/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=shellsnippets/shellsnippets.git;a=blob;f=mksh/debian-dev/aptcheck;hb=HEAD

This little tool (the shellsnippets.git repository is also mirrored
to github for those who prefer there) asks dpkg for the status of all
packages (or those listed as arguments), complains about all which are
not ii or hi, and for those it checks (via apt-cache policy as that was
easier/more straightforward than apt-cache showpkg) whether the installed
version is available from any repository and up-to-date (ignoring back‐
ports{,-sloppy}); neighbouring versions which *are* in repositories are
shown as well (both bpo and not; for both, the respective highest one).

This script needs…

https://evolvis.org/plugins/scmgit/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=shellsnippets/shellsnippets.git;a=blob;f=mksh/progress-bar;hb=HEAD
(also on github in the same repository, or in MirBSD CVS)

… to be in the same or parent directory to display the progress bar
which makes the long wait (I had 100% CPU utilisation on one core by
apt-cache alone) bearable. You can redirect stdout still, though ☻

It found a surprising amount of packages I hope the maintainers filed
unblock requests for ;-)

Improvements welcome… that don’t involve rewriting this in a programming
language beginning with b or p anyway ;-) also, comments.

I can imagine it being useful in all sorts of situations, not just the
one I’m currently using it for. (Also, “what packages I use were removed
from Debian?” etc.)

Development was sponsored by ⮡ tarent solutions GmbH

Enjoy,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/