Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

On Tue, 2021-07-20 at 11:31:37 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Unfortunately, when the supporters of the merged-/usr-via-aliased-dirs
> pushed their approach into the distribution, that meant that package
> stopped being able to ship compatibility symlinks under «/», and those
> needed to be "handled" in maintscripts (by reimplementing poorly and
> unsafely what dpkg is supposed to do). This means dpkg is not in the
> loop and cannot perform a safe upgrade moving these pathnames safely,
> as long as merged-/usr-via-aliased-dirs is supported.

Sorry, how sloppy of me, let me qualify that last word, to avoid any
confusion, "supported". As in inflicting that into unsuspecting users,
and in having to bear and pay the price for its current existence, not
as in an approach that is supported by the packaging system.

Regards,
Guillem