Re: merged /usr considered harmful

Johannes Drexl dixit:

>embrace getting rid of /sbin and /bin. FHS 3.0 explicitely states that
>/usr is allowed to be not only on a separate partition, but even on a
>network device shared by other machines:

This hasn’t been true on Debian for a while (partially due to the
systemd/usrmerge proponents, partially due to the difficulty of
deciding what needs to be present). You have had to either ensure
/usr is mounted by an initrd or it’s not on a separare filesystem
for a while, already (and that was fine with me, it’s the usrmerge
crap that totally pointlessly breaks things).

And no, I’m not going to embrace every unnecessary change thrown my way.

Magissia dixit:

>In this case, this page should be updated to reflect the fact it is not
>broken.

No; usrmerge is broken from the PoV of Debian’s package manager.
Running usrmerge breaks assumptions done by dpkg; you can probably
do it with RPM or something, but it’s not supported with dpkg.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Gestern Nacht ist mein IRC-Netzwerk explodiert. Ich hatte nicht damit
gerechnet, darum bin ich blutverschmiert… wer konnte ahnen, daß SIE so