Re: bitz-server: package is not in any development repository ...

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 05:34:02AM -0400, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> On 5/18/21, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/bitz-server
>
> On 5/18/21, Jörg Frings-Fürst <debian@jff.email> wrote:
> > Hello Albretch,
> > bitz-server has 4 RC-Bugs[1], which could not be fixed by me.
> > No fixes came from the upstream either.
> > Therefore the package had to be removed from testing and unstable.
>
>  Well, thank you:
>
>  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=966418
>
>  that RC bug would be the place for me to start.
It's not an RC bug, it's the removal request for that package. If you want
to fix the bugs in the package before reintroducing it, you'll need to
look through
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=1;src=bitz-server
and find which were still applicable to it at the time of removal (by
looking at the close message).

> I am not familiar
> with the debian dev process and there are other "cultural" aspects
> which are not totally clear to me. Jörg (developer, initial maintainer
> of the package) tells us bitz-server has bugs, which haven't been
> fixed, but I see the packaged listed as "stable" in buster:
>
>  https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=bitz-server
Packages are rarely removed from existing releases.
Also, those RC bugs could be only applicable to sid and testing.

>  Also, I am not looking at the matter from the pit yet, but RFC 3057
> shouldn't be that difficult to implement and, as I see it, an ICAP
> server is "simply" a light httpd, Apache module kind of piece of
> software and there is a currently maintained, full implementations of
> it in C:
>
>  https://github.com/c-icap/c-icap-server
>
>  That implementation could be included as a debian package.
It's in Debian: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/c-icap
It's orphaned though.

>  I also noticed that someone else (Cameron Norman
> <camerontnorman@gmail.com>) was trying to resurrect blitz-server
> before:
>
>  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=769076
No, it was before the initial package was uploaded to Debian, not after it
was removed. You can look at dates and versions.

>  You know me from my jestful rants, but, by profession, I am a
> theoretical physicist who worked mostly as a data analyst (starting
> with FORTRAN, mostly C and C++, then later java to then fall out of
> love with coding/"technical matter" altogether and becoming a
> teacher), so I  never had the chance to get too political about
> programming languages (while I worked for "corporate America" I had to
> even code in VB! ;-)). All I need to do is reproducibly get to the
> matter at hand asap (that bug) and squeeze some mind and time from my
> other projects. I am definitely not into protagonism and we all have
> plenty of things to do. Es it always good when more than one person
> commits their mind to it, otherwise it would be some sort of
> time-wasting suicidal masturbation.
(not sure how is this relevant for Debian mailing lists)

--
WBR, wRAR