Re: Thanks and Decision making working group (was Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result)

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 06:37:01PM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Simon,

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 04:56:34PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > Is it really still an open question whether Debian is a political
> > project that has opinions on non-technical topics like the board of the
> > FSF or the legal status of Taiwan, Palestine and Kosovo, or whether
> > Debian is a technical project where people of diverse backgrounds and
> > political opinions can work together on making a good distribution?
>
> Debian is a political project that promotes the autonomy of users vis-a-vis
> large organizations such as corporations and governments. It does this by
> promoting the creation of free software, and by fostering a community
> around free software.

in the 1990s I would have agreed with you, but the world has changed.

Nowadays a big part of the community around free software are
large corporations.

The member list of the Linux Foundation[1] goes from Microsoft and
Oracle through BlackRock and Goldman Sachs to Facebook and Uber.

Recent Debconf sponsors included companies like Microsoft, IBM,
Google and Amazon. And AFAIK every one of these companies employs
at least one DD whose job includes paid work to make modifications
to Debian that benefit the company.

>    Simon

cu
Adrian