Re: Thanks and Decision making working group (was Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result)

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 02:04:38PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> While this vote caught a lot of heat, essentially it's quite a trivial
> vote. Ultimately it had become a question of if and how we should
> respond to an external situation. I think that as Debian grows, as the
> free software eco-system grows, and as software gets ever more ingrained
> in our every day life, the questions and problems we're going to face
> will become increasingly complex and that we should adapt to be able to
> deal with those as a project.

Is it really still an open question whether Debian is a political
project that has opinions on non-technical topics like the board of the
FSF or the legal status of Taiwan, Palestine and Kosovo, or whether
Debian is a technical project where people of diverse backgrounds and
political opinions can work together on making a good distribution?

The last 3 weeks will be the new normal if we ignore the result of the
current GR, and I doubt a working group exchanging the same arguments
and insults again will bring any benefits.

> Can we go ahead and set up such a working group? I'm thinking that it
> would involve mailing list discussions, video calls, sessions at
> DebConf, probably at least one GR, research on different voting methods
> that could be used, voting software, etc.

There are various topics around the technicalities of voting that have
emerged in the past weeks. There is a fair chance to get these discussed
on debian-vote and voted fairly quickly without too much bad blood.

> Fortunately, we're not the
> only organisation in the world facing issues like these and we can make
> use of some external experts too.

What kind of experts?

Experts in promoting the opinions of the affluent IT elites in the US,
or experts in how to manage the different cultural backgrounds and
opinions in an international project?

A real problem is that many of the groups who claim to promote diversity
are actually 100% people living in the US IT filter bubble.

On technical issues around voting I think we have enough competent
people to discuss them without external help.

> -Jonathan

cu
Adrian