Re: Realtek RTL8723DE, RTL8821CE, RTL8822BE and RTL8822CE chipsets

El dom, 4 abr 2021 a las 12:28, Devops PK Carlisle LLC
(<devops@pkcarlisle.com>) escribió:

> This is interesting.
>
> First, I must ask... Are either Ralink or Atheros more quickly adopted
> into Linux support before Realtek? Are they more stable, etc.? (In my
> original post, I noted that I pulled a Realtek based 5ghz dongle from an
> extreme end user system, in no small part due to stability/reliability)?

I do not think so, I guess this mostly depends on how many people are
involved with each driver and how well tested is the code.

In the particular case of rtw88 driver (the one supporting chipsets in
the subject), it is maintained by Realtek folks with additional
contributions from the community. Some chipsets are supported, some
not yet. For the case I know (rtl8821ce), original chipset is
supported, but support for other variants (e.g., rfe 2) was late for
5.11 (Realtek tests took longer than expected), but will be present in
5.12 kernel, requiring new firmware
(https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/2/2/76). I think the best option is to
wait for that kernel and firmware to reach debian-backports. For other
variants of other chipsets things may be fifferent.

Regards,

--
Agustin