Re: Cancel "culture" is a threat to Debian

On 3/30/21 12:15 PM, Stephan Lachnit wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:17 AM Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> wrote:
>> Cancel "culture" arrived in Debian and it threatens the project:
>>
>>  * https://www.debian.org/vote/2021/vote_002
>>
>> Cancel "culture" activists want Debian to sign a petition regarding
>> Richard Stallman's membership in the Board of Directors of the Free Software
>> Foundation.
>
> I don't want to start yet another big discussion, but I think this
> isn't about cancel
> culture. Nobody wants to disregard the achievements of RMS. I feel this is
> more about the picture the FSF as *the* free software foundation represents.
> It's supposed to represent everyone who fights for a future where software is
> open, just like we do. But the way RMS got back on the board (I mean not
> even the fr*cking FSFE knew about that before the public announcement), is just
> something that shouldn't happen. And there was no apology from RMS (afaik)
> whatsoever for anything he was criticized for, which is bad for a
> foundation that
> wants to represent free software as a whole and everyone involved.
>
> Calling for RMS to step back, and everyone who was involved in that decision,
> really has nothing to do with cancel culture.

What about this sentence that the Debian project is supposed to accept
and sign for:

"It is time for RMS to step back from the free software, tech ethics,
digital rights, and tech communities, for he cannot provide the
leadership we need."

THAT is about cancelling RMS. To a degree, I'm ok with protesting that
RMS is on the board of the FSF again. But not that he must step back
from any free software activities. If one single world was added:

"It is time for RMS to step back from the *leadership of*..."

then I could have accept it... but without it, it's going a way too far,
and it goes into the "cancel culture" category. Anyone who denies this
must go back to school and learn how to read.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)