Re: Fixed release dates are hurting quality

On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 07:41:01PM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 02:20:28PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > the packages being untouched for a long time in some cases meaning there is
> > > no guarantee for quality.
> >
> > Sure, but if there is no serious issue left with the package, we can as
> > well ship it.
> Strictly speaking, there is a big logical error here.
> If a package doesn't have RC bugs that doesn't mean it's fit for a
> stable release, doesn't have serious issues, or even is usable.
> And if a package has an RC bug that doesn't mean it's not usable etc., it
> just means it has some problem that fits the definition of an RC bug (or,
> even, that doesn't, but nobody lowered the severity).
> But the project decided to use these criteria in the absence of better
> ones, just as the project decided to use obviously flawed popcon stats.
>
> --
> WBR, wRAR

Several of those updates may also be down to h0lger mass updating packages so
that they were built on buildds that could give reproducible build info.

Never ascribe to malice something that is entirely good, useful and
well-intentioned :)

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater