Re: Proposal: plocate as standard for bookworm

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 9:58 AM Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> On my server, with ~12M files on rotating media, updatedb.plocate finishes in
> ~40 seconds, IIRC. (I'd re-check to be sure, but today is RAID Sunday... :-) )
> On my laptop with 875k files and a regular SSD, it's less than three. It does
> alter the filesystem cache somewhat, but the amount of RAM used can be
> bounded cgroups if desired; it runs from a systemd service.

On my desktop a no-change update takes 40s and the I/O usage is around
1800 K/s according to iotop-c, probably would be more painful on
HDD-only systems. If you multiply that by all the Debian systems on
Earth it seems like a substantial amount of resource use.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise