Re: Proposal: plocate as standard for bookworm

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 5:29 PM Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> I believe a good, fast locate is something that we should have in our base
> install; it is fine to keep it out of the cloud image (as today), but it is
> genuinely useful for both desktops and servers, and with a low cost.

I support having locate in the base install, but I don't think that
the cost of daily walking the entire filesystem is low; especially
with HDDs and older storage or computers that can be a lot of I/O. I
guess it also alters the Linux kernel block/filesystem caches? A
daemon monitoring filesystem changes using fanotify or similar and
then updating the database on a configured schedule would mitigate
this cost, but I guess would be harder to implement.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise