Re: About lintian

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 02:00:22PM +0100, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> Le lundi 18 janvier 2021 à 11:31:35+0100, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 17/01/21 at 22:00 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > > On the infrastructure side, you mentioned on #debian-qa that in your
> > > opinion, lintian is best run in a CI pipeline instead of on the
> > > lintian.d.o service. While this is certainly true, do you plan to keep
> > > the functionality on your rework of lintian.d.o?
> > >
> > > As part of this rework and the ongoing development, you said you have plans
> > > to set up a test version of the Lintian web application on non-Debian
> > > infrastructure. How is that going, Felix? Please if you need help or support,
> > > don't hesitate to reach out.
> >
> > I agree that a service that provides an overview of the status regarding
> > lintian for the whole archive would be useful (for example, to identify
> > packages that need some area of work inside a team).
> >
> > If there's a lack of interest/motivation to redesign lintian.d.o as a
> > standalone service, maybe a simpler architecture to explore would be to
> > build it on top of UDD (with lintian runners feeding a table in UDD
> > directly). That would make it possible to simplify most of the web stuff
> > (and of course would still allow exporting to other services that need
> > the data). I would be quite motivated to work on that.
>
> Hey all,
>
> Last time me and Felix discussed about lintian, his motivation to have a
> fresh and new lintian.d.o seemed, to me, to be high, and I recall he was
> mostly dealing with questions about how to do it, in particular about
> infrastructure. As I said on that time, I'd be glad to provide help and
> support should Felix feel the need for some. I'm quite not the best
> developer, but I think I could be useful nevertheless!
>
> That very topic about an archive-wide Lintian ran on already uploaded
> packages did not occur, though, and I'd be really interested in helping
> keeping this feature around, if such help is needed!

FWIW, The ci.debian.net infrastructure is mostly independent from
autopkgtest, so we could have different types of jobs there. This could
be used for lintian, but also for on-demand rebuilds, and other types of
checks that needs to be done to packages in the archive. the debci
codebase has seen a lot of work to properly handle stuff like this in
the last 6 years, and it would be a win if we can reuse that for other
use cases, instead of someone having to start from scratch having to
learn again everything that I did in the last 6 years working on ci.d.n.

I don't have a lot of free time to do this myself, but would be willing
to guide someone who wants to work on it, as a good part of the time I
currenly spend on Debian is already on ci.d.n anyway.