Re: testing/bullseye: Still installing vino when we really should be installing gnome-remote-desktop

On Sun, 2021-01-17 at 10:31 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 05:01:30 +0000, Philip Wyett wrote:
> > Installing Debian testing and now also using bullseye-DI-alpha3,
> > the
> > default desktop install/gnome is still installing vino and not
> > installing gnome-remote-desktop by default.
>
> The version of meta-gnome3 in GNOME team git Suggests gnome-remote-
> desktop
> and does not have a dependency relationship with vino, although
> nobody
> has got round to uploading this change yet.
>
> If you are interested in remote desktop support, your help with
> testing
> and if necessary backporting gnome-remote-desktop changes would be
> welcome
> (we have the latest upstream release, but there have been various
> commits
> upstream since then, and I don't have a good picture of which if any
> are
> important). At the moment it's only a Suggests for the gnome
> metapackage,
> because I'm not sure how mature it is.
>
> The Pipewire-based/Wayland-compatible stack does support other
> implementations of remote desktop viewing/control: if web browsers
> are
> linked to Pipewire client libraries, then web APIs can provide
> desktop
> sharing, for example on videoconferencing platforms.
>
> I've been sporadically uploading Pipewire because nobody else was
> doing it,
> but I am absolutely not an expert on Pipewire, and I would be
> delighted for
> someone else to take over.
>
>     smcv

Hi Simon,

I am no Pipewire expert like you and some of the remote connectivity
technologies that are available for use. However, I am happy to add
gnome-remote-desktop to my watch packages for testing and helping out
where I am able. I will look at upstream in due course and work with
any other like minded individuals on this be that in the GNOME and
remote teams.

Regards

Phil

--
*** Playing the game for the games own sake. ***

WWW: https://kathenas.org

Twitter: @kathenasorg

IRC: kathenas

GPG: 724AA9B52F024C8B