Re: Accepting / adopting DEP-14

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020, Emmanuel Arias wrote:
> DEP-14 will recommend the use of debian/latest  for a package uploaded
> to sid/unstable?  or debian/latest is a pre work before uploaded to
> sid/unstable?

It is to be expected that debian/latest keeps switching between different
states:
- in sync with sid
- in some "develop/test/pre-work" state (as you put) because you are
  working on a new uptsream release
- possibly in sync with experimental for a short while

> So, I think  would be a good recommendation to use debian/latest as a
> default branch for "develop" reasons, then when the package is ready to
> upload move that change to other branch debian/experimental, debian/sid,
> etc..

Multiplicating the branches has a (cognitive) cost and should only be done
for a good reason.

You can surely have a private "develop" branch if you want but there's no
point to have so many branches if you are not actively maintaining all
those versions in parallel.

The point of debian/latest is to accomodate for the case where you are
usually not actively maintaining multiple versions in parallel.

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁