Is Vcs-Browser necessary? [was: Why Vcs-* fields are not at least recommended ?]

Related question: is it useful (in most cases) to recommend having
Vcs-Browser where Vcs-* is also provided?

As the parent noted, policy doesn't make any strong recommendation here,
as to whether any Vcs-* field should be present or whether Vcs-Browser
should be present also, however lintian does make it a recommendation:

    I: missing-vcs-browser-field

In the most common case (git, salsa, https, default branch), the same
URI will work perfectly well both for both browse and clone (either
with or without the .git suffix). Most packages set the fields like
(random example):

    Vcs-Git: https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt.git
    Vcs-Browser: https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt

Allowing an explicit Vcs-Browser field for unusual cases seems
reasonable, but perhaps we could make the implicit assumption that if

    1) Vcs-* uses scheme https:
    2) Vcs-Browser is not present

then the Vcs-* URI can be assumed to be browsable, and save some
unnecessary duplication in d/control.

Gordon