Re: Why Vcs-* fields are not at least recommended ?

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 04:33:28PM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 07:31:08AM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > > For  non actively maintained packages on could check them into Git
> > > oneself and then start a history from there, and potentially update the
> > > package.
> > >
> > I have had good results with snapshot.debian.org.  On a few occasions,
> > simply downloading each successive version from snapshot.debian.org and
> > then using something like 'gbp import-dscs *.dsc' gives more than
> > sufficient version history.  Granted, that has limitations, but it is
> > available right now.
> gbp import-dscs --debsnap

The only thing I don't like about the debsnap option is that it does not
seem to have a way to limit the number of snapshots that are retrieved
or to specify the versions of interest.  For instance, if I only want to
see the versions of a package that constitute stable security updates, I
might do something like this:

debsnap -v -d . -f foobar --first 1.2-3 --last 1.2-3+deb9u5

Then:

gbp import-dscs *.dsc

If the --debsnap option to import-dscs has that capability then it must
not be documented.

Regards,

-Roberto

--