Re: Proposed changes to sbuild and debootstrap

Hi,

Quoting RhineDevil (2020-11-29 20:33:22)
> A little proof of concept of what I'm aiming to is in the latest commits of
> https://salsa.debian.org/TanyaEleventhGoddess/sbuild, sbuild-createschroot is
> able to work with the commands as-is, but also features automatic detection
> of a possible default configuration, plus I fixed a possible problem in
> filehandlers handling that may lead to deadlocking

I've had a look at the commits in that repo and think it would be better to
move the flavor support to debootstrap. sbuild-create-chroot is supposed to be
only a very thin layer on top of debootstrap and should not do much more than
all the schroot specific stuff. That way, a new --vendor switch would just be
passed on to debootstrap which would then do the right thing. If I understand
your problem correctly (derivatives having the same name as Debian releases but
differing content) then in the end you need to do something about debootstrap
anyways. By starting with debootstrap support, you avoid duplicate work in
sbuild-create-chroot.

When you open the bugs against debootstrap, please CC me. I'm developing a
debootstrap alternative called mmdebstrap which would also need to gain support
for a --vendor switch or similar.

Another package that might be of interest to you is distro-info which carries
distributino meta-data for different flavors like debian or ubuntu.

https://salsa.debian.org/debian/distro-info

And finally, there is vendor support in dpkg itself:

https://git.hadrons.org/cgit/debian/dpkg/dpkg.git/tree/scripts/Dpkg/Vendor

Tools written in Perl like sbuild and mmdebstrap make use of this, so
implementing things there, again avoids having to touch other tools.

Thanks!

cheers, josch