Re: A Small Organisation Server as a Debian Pure Blend

Quoting John Lines (2020-11-19 12:35:35)
> On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 16:18 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting John Lines (2020-11-18 13:35:42)
> >
> > I see this problem too, and am working on addressing it.  But
> > slowly.
> >
> > My aim is to purely integrate tools officially in Debian (which is
> > what I defined as "Debian Pure Blend", btw).  So to me, the first
> > step is to make sure all parts are packaged officially in Debian,
> > and is well maintained and in healthy shape upstream as well...
> >

> One of my reasons for an example Small Organisation Server with a goal
> of being able to be administered and used by non-technical people is
> to show the real world need for things to be packaged officially in
> Debian (or similar - I have not used Fedora for some time, or other
> distributions). The packaging process should act as the arbiter for
> the issues which are not relevant to upstreams, such as who gets to
> 'own' port 80, or whatever.
>
> I know it is possible for a non-technical person to, for example, set
> up and run a video conference, invite attendees etc - as I see this
> going on round me all the time, but if the way to do it starts
>
>  git clone ...
>
> they are not going to do it.
>
> Lots of software is being made available as Docker containers, but I
> feel this is OK for demonstration, or someone who only wants to do one
> thing, but, again taking my Ambrige Garden Club as an example, ideally
> they should not need a different username and password for each
> service (or get habituated into using their Facebook or Google
> credentials for any web site which asks for them)

Seems our defined problem is quite similar, if not identical.

Would be great if we could find overlap also in our work towards
solutions.

> I will look at Janus,

Makes me happy that you want to give it a try.

You can toy with it at https://live.jones.dk/demos/ if you want.

> one of the concepts of the overall Small Organisation Server is to
> document why particular components were used - which initially is
> likely to be because they are the one I know best.

What you call components I call features in my Redpill project:
https://source.redpill.dk/org/tree/README.md
https://source.redpill.dk/org/tree/SETUP.md

My goal is for each feature to become a new (or get absorbed by an
existing) Debian package, and that each feature - including its
documentation - is only loosely tied to other features.  I.e. that one
organisation can choose to run "mail" and "mail-lists" features and in
their documentation not be confused by documentation on "mail-accounts"
- and another organisation include "mail-accounts" but exclude
"mail-list".

For documentation I have defined a set of rules for my work, to help
ensure the flexibility of integration:
https://source.redpill.dk/org/tree/ADMIN.md

I am sharing these details because although you didn't show interest in
my Redpill project (which is perfectly fine) we might still align on a
writing style for _some_ resuse across projects.

Feel free to reuse any of the material at https://source.redpill.dk/ and
(less mature, and only some repos aligned with the Redpill constraints)
https://source.couchdesign.dk/ - if licensing is acceptable to you,
obviously (and if not, please do share why).

> > If your interest is in integrating something *now* to have it
> > quickest possible usable, then I recommend that you collaborate
> > closely with [FreedomBox] to not fork it but improve it to be
> > flexible enought to fit also your needs.
> >
> > [FreedomBox]: https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox
>
> I have forked the freedombox repository, but with the intention of
> feeding changes back in, and am now running my forked version
> (basically the bits which assume it is running behind NAT on a dynamic
> IP address) at https://ambridge-garden-club.org.uk/plinth/

I wish you good luck with that approach.

 - Jonas