Re: A Small Organisation Server as a Debian Pure Blend

On Wed, 2020-11-18 at 15:29 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2020-11-18 11:06:20 +0000 (+0000), John Lines wrote:
> [...]
> > I do suggest in
> >
> > https://wordpress.debian.social/jlines/2020/11/13/ambridge-garden-club-registering-the-domain/
> >
> > that AWS might be a possibility, or Azure, or Google Cloud
>
> If you're going to advocate for free/libre open source software,
> remember that AWS, Azure and Google Cloud are the antithesis of it
> yet have many, many, many competitors based entirely on F/LOSS you
> could be recommending instead.

The https://ambridge-garden-club.org.uk/ is hosted at MythicBeasts, a
small independent hosting provider, who are Linux friendly, but the key
point is that it is based on a standard Debian system, which can be
hosted anywhere, and hence can not be locked in.

I am advocating choice, as the alternative for small organisations,
with no IT sysadmin, is to put everything on Facebook, or Google Docs,
or Microsoft Office 365 - and then every member of your organisation is
locked into that ecosystem.

John