Re: restarting instanced systemd services on upgrade

On Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 10:02:46AM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 at 12:24:03 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> [Paul wrote]:
> > > These are not "systemd user services" as described in your email subject, they are
> > > per-user instances of systemd system services.

[snip]
> > > package, it seems you need a onedrive.service in addition to
> >
> > We ship also one onedrive.service. This is used when a user starts
> > 	systemctl --user onedrive
>
> That's a user-service, which is unrelated (it's managed by a different
> per-user instance of systemd, and is not visible to the system-wide
> instance). I think Paul means you might need a *system service* named
> onedrive.service.

[snip the rest of the explanation about the various benefits and
 drawbacks of having a no-op service vs a target]

(looks up from taking notes for the long-long-long-overdue conversion of
 stunnel4 to systemd, being held back mainly by myself not having a very
 clear idea which of the options to choose)

Thanks *a lot* for this awesome concise yet complete explanation!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@debian.org pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13