Re: Proposal: use /usr/bin/open as an alternative for run-mailcap and others.

On 2020-10-07 Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello everybody, hello Debian freedesktop.org maintainers,

> /bin/open has been kindly freed a couple years ago (#732796) and I would
> like to propose to repurpose it as a standard command for opening files,
> like on Mac OS and NextStep before it.
[...]

Hello,

I do not get the reason for this change. Surely we do not expect people to
manually type

open penguin.jpeg

in an xterm window, because they do not know how to handle the file.
They will usually *klick* on it and some infernal magic will invoke the
correct program, be it named xdg-open or geeqie.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'