Re: Proposal: use /usr/bin/open as an alternative for run-mailcap and others.

On Thu, 2020-10-08 at 18:45 +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> I do not get the reason for this change. Surely we do not expect
> people to manually type
>
> open penguin.jpeg
>
> in an xterm window, because they do not know how to handle the file.
> They will usually *klick* on it and some infernal magic will invoke
> the correct program, be it named xdg-open or geeqie.

I disagree.  If you are developing an application, and are already
working within a terminal, you probably won't want to have to open up a
file browser and navigate to the right direction just to check if your
penguin logo is wearing a hat.  In that case, typing

open penguin.jpeg

is probably very handy.  Even more handy is the fact that you don't
really need to learn the command name of your image viewer and your pdf
viewer and your html viewer and you .dia viewer and your .mp3 player
and every other viewer you might need to handle: only the 'open'
command.