Re: RFC: Final update of DEP-14 on naming of git packaging branches

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 10:32:36AM -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > On Sat, 12 Sep 2020, Sean Whitton wrote:
> >> There are arguments both ways here but as you're the person driving
> >> this, I'm still keen to hear more from you about why debian/unstable is
> >> to be preferred over debian/sid giving the existing convention
> >> established by dgit.  Thanks.
> >
> > I don't have figures about their respective usage and I have no time to
> > look into collecting such statictics. However I have been convinced by
> > Simon Mc Vittie's request to document some sort of preference.
> >
> > debian/unstable better matches what we put in the changelog: we
> > put unstable for upload to the development release (and we put a codename
> > for stable uploads).

In https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/871rjnu3r9.fsf@hope.eyrie.org
is that also said by Russ Allbery.

> > debian/unstable is more expressive than debian/sid for persons who
> > are not very familiar with the debian release naming scheme.
>
> Okay, thanks.

Yes, we are closer to consensus.  Other warm feeling I have is that this
discussion learnt me that DEP-14 was originally written with Upstream
in mind.

Regards
Geert Stappers
DD