Re: [External] Re: Lenovo discount portal update (and a few other things)

Hi Paul,

On 9/2/2020 9:18 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 1:22 PM Mark Pearson wrote:

Following on from DebConf 2020 (which I thoroughly enjoyed - thank you!)
the Lenovo portal that was announced is now available:

Thanks for your generosity here!

This announcement seems suitable for inclusion on these wiki pages.
You will need to register an account in order to edit them, if you
don't have one already. Inclusion on the latter means the announcement
will eventually go out to the debian-devel-announce mailing list.

https://wiki.debian.org/MemberBenefits
https://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews

You should just be able to register with your debian.org email address
to get the discount on any Lenovo equipment. Do let me know if any
problems.

I note that some debian.org email addresses are guest accounts for
contributors who are not Debian members (although we do ask that they
don't use these addresses) and some are role addresses (for example
dsa@debian.org corresponds to the Debian sysadmin team (DSA)) and some
of those teams may have recipients who are not yet Debian members.

I suspect we can blacklist email addresses if the need arises and if we see something being abused that will likely be what happens. My recommendation is consider your community when using the portal...

For DSA - I'm assuming all role addresses have members behind it with debian addresses? "Please don't register on the portal with role addresses" would seem a sensible guideline to me.

Does the acceptance of role addresses mean for example that DSA could
buy discounted servers from Lenovo? We have received very favourable
quotes for servers from the local Austrian and Greek Lenovo offices
and turning that into a standard discount that does not require
country-by-country conversations with the local Lenovo offices would
be very helpful.

I'm not sure to be honest - check and see how it compares and choose whichever saves you the most money? I don't get any say in what the discounts are I'm afraid. If you're talking to sales staff maybe they can get you a better deal as they'll have more tools at their disposal?

Many of the Debian membership benefits (link above) also apply to
Debian Maintainers (folks who are not members but can do unsupervised
uploads of particular packages) and Debian contributors in general,
has Lenovo considered including one or both of these groups in the
discount program?

If there is a group missing that it makes sense to add we can look at that - let me know. Using the debian.org email as a filter seemed like a neat and simple solution when I discussed it with Jonathan originally. I'd rather avoid having to manage lists of individual email addresses. That's a real pain and IMO will only break in the long term. Open to other suggestions if what we have implemented doesn't work but it has to be balanced with the amount of effort involved.

Mark