Re: Source only upload

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 9:28 AM Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> The reason we don't do this is because of bootstrapping: some tools
> require themselves to build, so you need to cross-build them on a
> different architecture, upload the cross-built binary, get an exception
> for that upload, and then re-upload the same version so it gets built on
> the buildds. If you have a solution for that issue that allows not
> accepting bootstrapped binaries in unstable, then by all means suggest
> it. Otherwise I think the current situation is the best possible
> solution given the requirements that exist.

The solution is to do the sourceful upload without binaries, build the
binaries and upload the binaries without the source in the second
upload. Or just a .changes field to keep binaries like Mattia
suggests. Or as Johannes suggests, we require every package to have a
proper bootstrap process without cyclic or self build-deps, which the
buildds could then do via build profiles.

> Having said that, a warning by dupload or dak that you're uploading
> binaries to unstable and is this really what you want would definitely
> seem appropriate.

That already exists for dupload IIRC, not sure about dput/dput-ng though.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise